Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Gestational Diabetes Scare

Two weeks ago I went in for the one hour glucose tolerance test.  I had passed with my other three children and wasn't too concerned about this one.  Things were a little different this time.  The other times I had gone earlier in the morning and had been told not to eat anything sugary the night before and focus mainly on proteins for breakfast.  My doctors here in TN said not to worry about it, eat what I want, and scheduled me for like 1 in the afternoon.  Well, I was running late and decided to eat on my way there.........mac-n-cheese and a can of ginger ale!  Go in.  Do the test.  Get results. Fail!  They like to see no higher than 140 and I came in at 173. 

I left just sobbing.  Cried all the way home and most of that day and into the evening.  I don't know why it upset me so.  I felt fearful of having a disease, changing my diet, having a 20 pound baby, C-sections, health risks for baby and for me.  All that stuff.  I was also angry because of all the changes we have made to our diets by going organic.  I had not done that with the other ones and had passed just fine.  After lots of prayer and putting trust in God and talking with my husband and some of my friends,  I let it go and waited a week to go in and take the 3 hr.

Ugh!  It was not much fun.  I had to be there at 830 in the morning, which means I fasted from the night before until close to noon the next day.  Besides stomach bugs, I'm not much of a fan of not eating.  I woke up with a bad attitude about it and already saying I wasn't going to make it, but Sean reminded me to trust God and pray.  Did that and started feeling much better.  However, after the first blood draw and downing the drink in 3 mins, I started to feel awful!  Nauseous, dizzy, tired.  Just yuck.  Each hour on the hour I was called again to go get blood drawn.  I think by the end of the second hour I started to feel somewhat normal again.  It also helped that there were 3 other mamas in there doing the GTT so we chatted and compared stories.  After the last blood draw, I got on the elevator headed for the car when I suddenly felt sweaty, shaky, dizzy, like I was going to pass out.  I hurried to the car and ate 2 snacks, 4 pieces of gum, drank a ginger ale, and headed home for more food.  I had also worried all along that by sugars would plummet because I have hypoglycemia and have for many years.  When I expressed those concerns initially, the office just said I still needed to try to do the 3 hr. Grateful to God that he allowed me to hang in there just until after the last blood draw.

I also didn't get results that day.  So we waited some more.  Until yesterday!  The nurse called and said all of the sugars came back normal, except for one.  That one was abnormally low.  They want to discuss those results when I come in next because it appears I have hypoglycemia.  Shew!  Already knew that lol!! 

Me and Sean are praising God!!!  I don't know what he wanted me to learn through all this, but I do know it was an experience and I did learn some things.  I also met some mamas that I wouldn't have met otherwise and have now been praying for them. 

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

No comments: