Saturday, February 8, 2014

Made for Walkn'

After our fourth child is born, and after my 6 week checkup, I had told Sean that I was going to start getting up super early to go jogging 3-4 times a week.  Now, I have said these same EXACT words before and they have become a reality.......for a SHORT time!  And then I fall back into my old pattern of not doing it because, well frankly, I don't like running or jogging.  Sooooo, although the goal sounds great, I know myself.  I really did used to workout all the time and I enjoyed it, but that was before children (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)


Then I got to reading a devo about Jesus and some of his attributes that we should strive for.  Well, one of them was his physical strength, and it talked about how he walked everywhere all time for great distances.  Granted, there weren't cars and neighborhood Wal-Marts at the time, but still.   As I thought about it even more, I realized how much I love walking.  And we usually do try to take walks often as a family......when it's not the dead of winter and 2 degrees outside. 


Then I thought even more and decided I would like to know how many steps I take a day (ever heard of walking 10,000 steps a day?), even when I'm not going for a walk outside.  We went to Wal-Mart and purchased a pedometer for about 5 dollars.  I would recommend splurging a little bit more because the cheapie one I got likes to reset itself often if the button gets bumped and that's not so great when I'm trying to see how many steps I've walked for the day.  But all-in-all I am glad I got it and it has been interesting to see what I actually walk in a day (at least for me it was). 


So one Friday I was at home all day with the boys and I did 8457 steps which is 2.93 miles!!!!  That was the first day I had worn the pedometer and I was pretty excited about how much I walked around the house! 


The next time I wore it, it was a day we went to Target and Toys R Us.  I did 7573 steps (2.62 miles). 


Three other days that I was mostly just at home with the kiddos, I did 6215 steps, 7925 steps, and 6321 steps. 


One other day we went to the mall and I did 7801 steps (2.70 miles) and one day I went grocery shopping and to work and had 5508 steps (1.90 miles). 


Any way, the goal of 10k steps a day doesn't seem impossible. 


So now my new plan once this baby is born and it's not soooooo cold outside, I'm gonna aim to walk 3-4 times a week with my family, do my normal thing around the house or running errands or what have you, and wear my pedometer to see if I can get to 10k steps a day.


Just another way to try to be more like Jesus (WWJD!?)  He certainly wouldn't be running :)  lol 

No comments: