Sunday, July 5, 2009

America the Beautiful

Ryan got his first set of vaccines on Thursday. He was such a brave little man. I think it was harder on me and Daddy than on him. He screamed when she poked him (for a total of 3 quick pokes), but as soon as she was done, he was done crying. I almost cried. :( He did very well at the ped's though. He is 11 pounds 13 ounces, 24 inches long and his head circumference is 15. He is very healthy and growing great. He does have an umbilical hernia, but it is very common, will go away on its own, is painless and does not require any treatment. The crazy crying I was talking about i the previous post is caused from either reflux, laryngitis or crying too much. It did go away on Thursday night, but came back again yesterday, so it is probably not laryngitis and more likely from crying or spitting up. I love our pediatrician. He is so kind, patient, answers all "dumb new mommy questions", doesn't seem impatient with us or like he should be elsewhere, didn't make us feel dumb for asking questions and didn't mind when I pulled out a list of questions. Oh and he is so good with Ryan. I guess Ryan slept through the night last night. He went to bed at 11 and slept until 5:45. Not bad!!!! I felt so bad on Friday. I was trimming his nails and cut his little thumb bad. He screamed and it bled. Then I put Band-Aids on it and hours later the Band-Aids had disappeared and I swear he had ingested them, but I found them later, shew!, thank goodness. No need for 2 bad mommy moments in one day!

Friday was the usual cleaning day. We did NOT go to Capogna's for dinner, though! HA. Instead, Grandma had us all over for dinner. My uncle and aunt and cousins are in town from Mississippi, so in total there were 13 of us! It was fun. We found out my cousin Amy is prego! I am so excited for her. Oh and Amy, I think I can write this on here......I hope! Love you and talk with you soon. Aunt Tayna had sent us a huge box of clothes recently and she also brought 3 garbage bags of clothes with her to give to us! I have to go through them all tomorrow.

Yesterday was of course the 4th. Sean and I were lazy with the baby most of the day and just lounged around the house and got some things done here. We watched Facing the Giants, which was a very good Christian movie. We had a few errands to run (had to get food for the BBQ, get my phone from Granny's cuz I left it there and we are bird and dog sitting for friends, so we had to take care of them). Then we went down to the beach to Adrienne's condo. We sat by the pool. There were a lot of people there and they were grilling out and stuff and the beach is right there so it was just really nice. Tiffany came down, too. She is nice and pregnant! Her baby is due in September. After that, we headed over to my uncle and aunt's for a family cookout. It was all of us again. They live right on the water and have a dock, so after food we went out there and watched the City of Clearwater's fireworks. They were amazing. Ryan was not scared of all the noise either; well, he jumped a few times, but that was it. During the finale, he actually fell asleep. We were very proud of him. He had a long day and was up from like 4 to 11 p.m. with no naps, but suffice it to say the last 2 hours he was very cranky. We had a very good 4th.

Sean and I were discussing that since having Ryan, I feel (well, we feel) as if we cannot fully pay attention to anything anymore because we always have one eye on Ryan and are always thinking about him. I couldn't fully watch the fireworks, I am not fully engaged in any conversation, can't fully watch TV or read a book or sleep or any other million activities that we do. But you know what, we love it! We wouldn't change it for the world and we are parents! What a huge and beautiful responsibility that God has placed upon us. I could do this 20 more times and would feel blessed to do so if that is what God so intends for us. Children are such a miraculous gift. It's like Sean and I have our same life, do the same things we did before Ryan got here, but in the same sentence everything is just different. Does that make sense? We are truly enjoying every precious moment of our son's life. What a journey!

Happy (late) 4th of July and thank you to all of our military servicemen and women and their families!

No comments: